Skip to main content

Is the noncustodial parent required to notify the custodial parent of their address?

Spokane, WA |

My ex-husband was abusive, including threats against our son, and I moved out of state. He ran me out of money so I was unrepresented at trial and he was given unsupervised visits in Spokane. We are now one month past that ruling and he had his first visit. He refused to tell me where he lives, but I know he is not at the address he has on file with the courts. He also refuses to tell me who he is living with or introduce me to her (his new girlfriend). Our son is two and cannot tell me what happens when he is there. My ex is also not responding when I ask questions about how he is doing, etc. None of this is specifically required in our parenting plan - do I have grounds to modify?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Absent extraordinary circumstances, an introduction to the girlfriend is definitely not required, and who your ex lives with is also unlikely to be an issue that concerns the court. If the father has day visits only, then his home address probably won't be something you are entitled to either; however, if the visits include overnights, you probably have a right to know your child's whereabouts. As such, I recommend you consult with a local attorney to determine whether this issue is something for which you should initiate a court proceeding. Good luck!

You may contact Ms. Brown at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.


You should schedule a brief paid consultation with a family attorney to review your orders, interview you about the details, and then advise you on your options.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes


On the pattern order of child support (and several other forms usually filed in a dissolution of marriage) are these provisions:

The Obligor Parent Must Immediately File With the Court and the Washington State Child Support Registry, and Update as Necessary, the Confidential Information Form Required by RCW 26.23.050.

The Obligor Parent Shall Update the Information Required by Paragraph 3.2 Promptly After any Change in the Information. The Duty to Update the Information Continues as long as any Support Debt Remains due Under This Order.
There are similar provisions for the other parent. Part of the required information is the service address and the residential address of each parent.

In some special circumstances (such as domestic violence), providing the information can be waived.

The courts in WA run background checks on all adults living in a parent's household before signing a final parenting plan. So, you are entitled to know information about the adults living in the other parent's household. However, there is no law that requires that you be introduced to those persons.

"My ex is also not responding when I ask questions about how he is doing, etc." If the "he" in the sentence refers to the ex, he has no legal obligation to tell you how he is doing. If "he" refers to the child, presumably, you know how your child is doing since you appear to be the custodial parent, someone who is frequently with the child. Unless something out of the ordinary happens to the child (such as suddenly being ill or injured), a parent usually does not have a legal duty to provide a daily report of the child's every day activities to the other parent. (Cooperative parents do discuss the daily activities of the children with each other.)

You should review the specific facts with your attorney to find out your legal options.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer