Is the legal

Chicago, IL |

if a witness for the state takes the stand and gives his final medical conclusion and it is accepted by the court as the conclusion,but the witness is NOT a doctor or a medical professional in any kind of way.what would that be considered.

i meant is this legal?

No, a lay witness would not ordinarily be able to make an expert opinion or judgment. His qualifications as an expert and whether to accord him the right to make an expert opinion could have been challenged by the defendant's attorney in a qualifications examination called a voir dire.

Perhaps this didn't happen, and the lay testimony was accepted as expert opinion.

But there is a "gray area" where perhaps a lay witness was just making an observation about what he saw or heard that really WASN'T a medical diagnosis or opinion. Something like "I saw the victim lying on the ground and he appeared to be unconscious, did not respond to our calling his name, had no pulse, wasn't breathing, he had bluish skin and blood was trickling out of his mouth", is not expert testimony, as the witness is not concluding whether he was asphyxiated, had a concussion or was even alive or dead".

If the witness was asked "do you think he was alive when you saw him?" that also might not require a physician or medical professional to offer a medical opinion or diagnosis, it is just a valid eyewitness testimony of what an ordinary person with reasonable perception skills who has seen live and dead people might conclude. Ditto with whether someone was under the influence of some drug or alcohol, or had tremors or seizures, etc.

This answer is provided under the Avvo.com “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at http://www.avvo.com/support/terms . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the Avvo.com site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".

2. The opinion is that of the witness. The witness' credibility can be questioned but the testimony in and of itself is legal.