Is the Lawyer you hire required to give me a copy of the contract agreement I signed to retain them/

Irving, TX |

Do they normally give you a copy after you sign or do youneed to request it?

1. Every lawyer is different. I'd call and ask for a copy.

My avvo answers are not legal advice. This is not an attorney client relationship. Before making any decision on how to proceed, you should hire the best local criminal defense lawyer you can afford. Do not post sensitive information on Avvo, this forum is not privileged or confidential.

2. In most states, the answer is “Yes” and the client can fire an attorney and receive a refund of unearned retainer. TX is frequently different. I agree with Mr. Guest: Ask for a copy. If he won’t give you a copy, then try firing him. He may have to pull out the contract to show you that you can’t fire him or that he need not refund. If you can’t get anywhere with him, go to the TX state bar at tx.gov/ state bar. That website may have answers to your other Qs.

DISCLAIMER—This answer is for informational purposes only under the AVVO system, its terms and conditions. It is not intended as specific legal advice regarding your question. The answer could be different if all the facts were known. This answer does not establish an attorney client relationship. I am admitted only in California. (Bryant) Keith Martin sbbizlaw.com

3. I always give my client a copy. It seems strange not to do so. Ask your lawyer for it. I would be very surprised if your lawyer didn't give you a copy.