Is the law requiring a fax header with sender's ID only meant for faxed advertising, or does it apply to all faxes?

Nashville, TN |
Filed under: Communications law

Someone told me years ago it is illegal to send an anonymous fax; that the TCPA requires all faxes to have headers identifying sender (name, time, date, phone number). I found the law, worded without qualifiers, in a context about faxed advertising, so the exact intent seems unclear. Is this law for all faxes, or only for faxed advertising? Thanks!

The Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991applies to advertising faxes not all faxes.

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.

Communications law topics

Recommended articles about Communications law