Is the landlord responsible for property damage from a bed bug infestation?

Huber Heights, OH |

We moved into our apartment Feb. 2011. When we first moved in, I started to get bug bugs. At first I assumed they were mosiquto bites and then fleas. Finally, I caught a bed bug and realized what they were. We have had several treatments over the past two months and the bites are still occuring. My 4 year is getting the worse end of the deal with the bug bites. At first they were isolated to the bedrooms but after treatments they have spread everywhere through the house. Both couches and bedroom are now invested and they are not getting any better with treatments. Looks like we will have to throw out almost all furniture and I don't have the funds to purchase new. I believe the landlord should be liable for all my furniture that I'm going to lose because they allowed me to move in w/ bugs.

1. Start by contacting the Health Department and an attorney in your area.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The answer(s) given are only to be deemed general in nature as all of the facts of your case were not provided and thoroughly reviewed. Any answers are NOT to be deemed as attorney advice as a full legal opinion can NOT be provided at this time without a complete analysis of all of the facts regarding your particular matter. Any and all statements provided do NOT in any way create any type of attorney/client relationship.

2. It depends on who was responsible for bringing the bed bugs in to your apartment. There are lawyers that just handle bed bug cases. I googled "Bed Bugs Lawyer" and found this for you www.Bed-Bugs-Lawyer.com

Landlord-tenant law topics