Is the IRS accountable for lieing and jerking you around? If so, who do you file complaints with?

I filed taxes January 30, 2013, electronically and, was told it was accepted. At this time I should have recieved my refund within 21 days. One week later I checkedon staus and, was shocked to see I was being reviewed. I called to find out wht was going on and, was told that I would recieve a letter asking for more info. I was told letter within 30 calander days. I am still waiting and, can't get anywhere with them. I have all documents they are asking for. I know they bigger than GOD but, are they above the law?

Vancouver, WA -

Thuong-Tri Nguyen

Thuong-Tri Nguyen

Business Attorney - Renton, WA

This year has been an unusual tax filing season because of the late passing of the tax laws by Congress. The IRS did not have time to rewrite its software and forms. The companies that wrote tax filing software did not have time to test with the IRS on how information on tax returns are sent.

If you filed at the end of January, your problem is probably with the new requirements by the IRS that tax preparers check some boxes on the Earned Income Tax Credit forms.

The error was discovered and fixed within a few days.

For taxpayers that filed before the fix was done, the IRS was sending paper letters asking for information.

You can call the IRS back and ask that the letter be sent to you again. Or, you can ask what information was requested in the letter. Then, you send the information in.

You can also ask for the contact information for the Taxpayer's Advocate, which is a special office at the IRS whose job is to help taxpayers navigate the IRS's bureaucracy.

You will eventually get your refund. If the IRS pays later than it should, you will be paid interest.

Bruce Givner

Bruce Givner

Tax Lawyer - Los Angeles, CA

Mr. Nguyen's answer was so superb, so scholarly that I can add nothing.

Related Advice