Is the host of a party personally liable if one of his guests gets sexually assaulted by another guest at the party?

San Francisco, CA |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

A party was hosted in a private hotel room where alcohol was served. One of the female guests gets drunk and passes out in the hotel room. Another male guest sexually assaults the female, while the female guest is passed out. Female guest is going to press formal charges against the male guest.

What is the liability of the person hosting the party? The person hosting the party had no involvement with the assault, and only learned about the incident the following day.

On what factual basis would there be any basis for liability? Did the host have any reason to know or suspect any such intentions by the offender? Hosts are not insurers against the consequences of their guests' bad conduct unless there is a reason that they should have foreseen that conduct or consequences. If someone comes to your house and commits a terrible crime on your front porch, should you be liable? Why?

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Generally, unless the host had some involvement in the criminal conduct, he or she would not be responsible. The woman who was assaulted needs to contact the police and report the incident as soon as possible.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes