Is the driver or the owner responsible responsible for the damages done to my car?

Asked about 2 years ago - Miami, FL

I was involved in an accident where i was completely stopped and a pick up truck with a boat attached to it tried to turn to the other street. He miscalculated and hit the front side of my car with the boat. The police took the insurance of the person driving but he was not the owner, the owner was the passenger. Of course the vehicle was not registered to the driver's insurance so they would not cover it. I took my car to get it fixed and it cost around $3,000. Shouldn't the owner of the car have to pay it for it? Or his insurance. The accident occurred on May 16, 2012

1. Jonathan Hayes Groff

6

Answered . The owner's insurance company is responsible for the negligence of a permissive driver. In fact they are responsible for any personal injuries you may have sustained. If the driver also has insurance on a car he owns, that insurance will also come into play. If you were injured or if they will not pay your property damage call and attorney without delay.

2. Jacob E. Segal

3

Answered . The vehicle will cover it. If your insurance paid your insurance company will get your deductible back for you. If not you need to go after vehicle. If you have the vin you can find out the insurance through any attorney.

3. Keith Patrick Ligori

3

Answered . I would make the claim with the owners and drivers insurance and see what their position will be.

The Law Offices of Keith Ligori
    813-254-7119
    Free Consultations

4. David L. Hirsch

Pro

3

Answered . You are correct, the driver is liable to you for his negligence. The owner may be liable to you as well under a theory of agency. There may even be liability to you from the owner of the boat which was being transported if he employed an inadequate company to move his boat.

5. Elmer Sanchez

2

Answered . In Florida, a vehicle is considered a dangerous instrumentality. This means that the owner will always be "on the hook" for damages caused involving the car. Explosives and guns are likewise considered dangerous instrumentalities. In other words, if you lend these kinds of items to a friend, and someone gets hurt, you as the owner may be liable.

Longwell Lawyers
    more

Longwell Lawyers
    Orlando Criminal Defense Attorneys
    Orlando Family Law Attorneys

less
  6. Steven A Schwartz

Pro

3

1

Answered . Your instincts are correct. Assuming the driver had permission to drive the vehicle (and I would assume this if the owner was in the car!), then the owner's insurance should cover any and all damages you seek up to their policy amounts. I suggest you contact the owner and request that he or she turn it over to his or her insurer.

Steven A. Schwartz
    Attorney/Partner

JOEL H. SCHWARTZ, P.C.
    One Washington Mall, 16th floor
    Boston, MA 02108
    (617) 742-1170
    (800) 660-2270
    (617) 250-2072 fax
    sas@joelhschwartz.com
    www.joelhschwartz.com