Is the divorce/custody/child support arrangement still valid if the attorney withdraws from the case because of non payment?

My wife hired the attorney and agreed to a payment method. She made two payments and then stopped months ago. The attorney's secretary stated that the attorney withdrew from the case.

Amite, LA -

Lauren G. Coleman

Lauren G. Coleman

Child Custody Lawyer - Alexandria, LA

If the judge signed the judgment on custody then that judgment is valid. The divorce may not have been completed if it was the type that required the parties to be separated for a year so you may want to consult your own attorney about completing the divorce. Either party can complete an Article 102 divorce.

Michael D. Conroy

Michael D. Conroy

Child Custody Lawyer - Metairie, LA

The withdrawal of the attorney would have no effect on a judgment of the court.

Matthew Thomas Majeski

Matthew Thomas Majeski

Child Custody Lawyer - Woodbury, MN

If it was submitted to the court and the judge signed off on it, then yes it is a valid divorce decree.

Related Advice