Is the court appointed fiduciary that is now estate conservator also the trustee of the estate?

San Jose, CA |

He has been signing as the conservator of the estate and person. Also the estate trustee. Is this to be correct.

It depends on the terms of the trust agreement and the court order. Generally, a revocable living trust also designates a successor trustee who will assume that position upon the death of the original trustee or settlor. If there is no contention with respect to estate distributions, if the trust was valid, and if a successor trustee was named, there would likely be no reason for a court proceeding. So, the fact that a court appointed a conservator suggests that there was an issue with the estate. A conservator and trustee may have the same functions or different functions; in this case, it depends on what the court order stipulated. The court could have discharged the successor trustee - if there was one - or could have appointed an additional fiduciary. I suggest you consult with a local probate attorney who can explain the order and its application to the estate.

The answers and information I provide here, via a link, or any other reference do not create an attorney-client relationship. Before acting on any information provided, you should contact an attorney who has experience with your issue Though I may answer questions posed by individuals in other jurisdictions, I am licensed to practice only in the State of Illinois. If you reside outside the State of Illinois and your matter does not relate to a person or property inside the State of Illinois, you should contact counsel in your particular state. IRS Circular 230 Notice: "To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended, or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein."

Not sure what you mean. If there is also a trust, the must remove the prior trustee and appoint the conservator as successor trustee. Not uncommon but they are separate proceedings and issues.

The general advice above does not constitute an attorney-client relationship: you haven't hired me or my firm or given me confidential information by posting on this public forum, and my answer on this public forum does not constitute attorney-client advice. IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: In order to comply with requirements imposed by the Internal Revenue Service, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. While I am licensed to practice in New York and California, I do not actively practice in New York. Regardless, nothing said should be deemed an opinion of law of any state. All readers need to do their own research or pay an attorney for a legal opinion if one is necessary or desired.

Charles Adam Shultz

Charles Adam Shultz

As ms. Elliott points out the person may have been named in the document as successor trustee and became trustee upon incapacity of the settlor under the terms of the trust

If a trust existed-the successor trustee would be the trustee of the trust and the the court appointed conservator would be in charge of other assets as directed by the court.
The conservator should have an attorney to assist and also the successor trustee if a different person.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

It is hard to determine what estate planning documents we are dealing with as related to your brief factual statement. From best I can determine the court appointed a professional fiduciary to serve in the capacity of the administrator of the estate. When you speak in terms of a trustee you raise an issue if there is a Living Trust or some other Trusts involved. Your facts are far too limited for any real definitive comment.

If you have found this information helpful, please let the attorney know by marking best answer. Thank you. This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.

Wills and estates topics