Is the charges that were filed against a person & the upcoming court date because of those charges public information?

Asked over 1 year ago - Borger, TX

This person is a man that went to jail for stabbing my son and remained in jail for 33 days until bonded out. Since this is personally of interest to my son and myself we'd like to be able to find out what the charges are against him and the court date that those charges will be brought to the attention of the presiding judge.

1. Cynthia Russell Henley

6

Answered . all charges are public records. Moreover, your son, the complainant, should be contacted by the prosecutor on the case before the case is "settled". This should include a contact about his injuries and his thoughts on punishment.

Cynthia Henley
    713-222-1220

2. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

5

Answered . The charges and court date are certainly public information. And, your son should have been contacted by the victim services person of the DA's office. If your son is an adult, he may wish to telephone the DA's office and ask what is going on with the case. He is entitled to be kept up to date on that. If your son is a child, you may wish to make that call yourself.

3. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

3

Answered . It is public information. In some counties you can access this kind of information online. Law enforcement needs the cooperation of victims and wants to keep them informed. You can call the police department that made the arrest to get in touch with the investigator handling the case. He will be able to put you in touch with the apprpriate DA as well.

His charge will likely be aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. This is a second degree felony with a maximum punishment of up to twenty years in prison. He may also be eligible for proabtion. This is something the DA will discuss with you. Best of luck to you and your son.

4. Frank Mascagni III

4

Answered . These records are public. Have your son contact the prosecutor's office, advise of all his contact information, that he is the victim and wants be be kept informed. Request a meeting with the prosecutor or victim advocate. You can go to the criminal court's clerks office and get copies of the file.