Skip to main content

Is the at fault party still responsible for paying for your injuries if you attorney quits without giving u a settlement amount?

Atlanta, GA |

I was involved in a accident in 08 and my attorney never gave me any info about my case and never saw him but 1 time. When I ask him to give me a copy of what the settlement offer was from the insurance company, he filed a motion to withdraw the day his paralegal told me there was a settlement offer. He just refuse to forward me any info. He did not give me any reason as to why he release me as a client and I only meet him a 2 minutes before the deposition. I never saw him before in my life . H e file a lawsuit in court and told me to get another attorney to represent me. Thats it. What recourse do I have?

Attorney Answers 4


I'm sorry to hear of the troubles that you have had but it sounds like you indeed need to retain new counsel. You should do so as promptly as possible.

Personal injury attorneys nearly always give a free initial consultation.

The insurance industry’s own statistics indicate that once an attorney becomes involved, the value of any claim at least doubles.

Put those two facts together and it is in your best interest to retain experienced legal counsel at your earliest possible convenience.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be provided in an office consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, with experience in the area of law in which your concern lies.

Mark as helpful


It sounds like you need to consult with a new Georgia attorney that specializes in tort (injury) cases. Good luck!

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


I'm sorry to hear about the problems you are having with your attorney. Any documents generated by your attorney while he represents you are actually your documents. If he will not voluntarily give them to you then hire another attorney and he/she will request them. If he still won't give them to you contact the State Bar of Georgia, ask for the ethics helpline and explain the situation to them. They'll call him and discuss the situation. If suit has been filed on your behalf you need someone to represent you as soon as possible. Make sure you hire an attorney who understands accident cases so you will be well represented. Good luck.
Ralph Hughes, Decatur. 404-373-3458

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


Most importantly, have your case reviewed by another attorney to see how much merit there is to your case and see if you can hire someone to help you.

If a suit is filed, the other attorney would have to get permission from the Judge to withdraw. This requires notice to you and an order from the Judge.

You may have recourse beyond the suit but that is another matter and I don't want to prejudge the attorney's conduct.

Mark as helpful

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics