Is the 7fam 1156.12 immigration law retroactive?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

My adult daughter would have qualified for citizenship under this law. However, we were unaware of it when we were in the US inn the 1990s. We are now overseas and wish to return to live in the US so was wondering if this law is retroactive? It says a person can still apply for a certificate of citizenship even though the law has been repealed. Is this correct? If so we would need the services of a good immigration lawyer. Can anyone help? Thank you.

1. Ronald Jeffrey Tasoff

Best Answer

Answered . Yes, assuming you can document that she qualified back in the 1990's. So the problem might be getting that documentation - especially if you are not currently living in the U.S. That's why you need a "good immigration lawyer".
    Ron Tasoff
    Certified Immigration Law Specialist*
    Law Offices of Tasoff and Tasoff
    16255 Ventura Blvd. Suite 1000
    Encino, California 91436
    (818) 788-8900
    ron@tasoff.com
    www.tasoff.com

2. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . Whether your child is a US citizen depends on facts not in your posting.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

3. Myron Russell Morales

Pro

Answered . Her citizenship may have come about by operation of the law. Let's talk in more detail.

Myron R. Morales, Attorney
    Morales PLLC
    info@moralespllc.com

This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For more information please contact us at info@moralespllc.com.