Is the 2257 form a violation of my freedom to free expression? I'm not a US citizen why must I comply to US law on internet?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

I model online and on the site i use I am free to broadcast explicit material or not with out having to submit anything. But I have $375 that I was payed and if I want to be payed what is mine I am being told I must submit a 2257 forum along with a government issued ID to prove that I am 18 years old. The problem is that I am not a citizen of the US (the government who put this violation of my human rights to freely express my self on the internet) So I am unable to get a "Government issued ID" My government and many others such as the UK do not have "ID cards" furthermore if I am not required to provide a police officer with an ID card why must I provide it to some company to link my virtual ID to my personal body? I am 21 years old and I have school ID's and other documents that show my age why must I give them a photocopy of a "Government issued ID" a second document that has my name and birthdate, along with all my online aliases, maiden names, screen names, and any other moocher i go by on the internet? The 2257 form is supposed to be souly for the pourpos of "Protecting children" But is highly unnecessary and with enough Photoshop experience easily bypassed. On top of that you are still free to brodcast wether or not you send in a 2257 form so how does that stop underage people broadcasting??? I do not belong to the US government I belong to a family and I just feel like I am having my civil liberty that there constitution is supposed to up hold to anyone US citizen or not are being violated. Its like they are accusing me of being underage and breaking THERE laws on the international internet when I don't give a fudge about there unjust laws. Am I supposed to be innocent until proven guilty? What gives them the right?

Let me make my question clear seeing as you are all oblivious... I know what Id they want, I know why the site has to do it and why they think I have to do it. MY QUESTION IS: WHAT GIVES THE US GOVERNMENT THE RIGHT TO UNDERMINE THE CONSTITUTION AT PLACE LAWS ON THE INTERNET THAT RESTRICT MY RIGHT TO FREEDOM OF SPEECH!?
WHY DO I HAVE TO/HOW DO I PROVIDE DOCUMENTS THAT MY GOVERNMENT DOES NOT OFFER?
AND NOTE THAT THE SITE ALLOWS YOU TO BROADCAST WITH OUT ANY ID OR 2267 AND IT DOES NOT STOP UNDERAGE PERFORMERS! I HAVE BEEN BROADCASTING FOR MONTHS NOW AND YOU EARN MONEY THROUGH MEMBERS TIPPING YOU! ONCE YOU ARE TIPED CAM4.com HOLDS YOUR MONEY UNTIL YOU CASH IT OUT BUT YOU CAN EARN MONEY WITH OUT THE 2257 FORM) ARE YOU PEOPLE STUPID!? READ!!! MAYBE CAPS LOCK WILL HELP!? AND I AM NOT BEEING SELF RIGHTEOUS I AM MAD THAT MY HUMAN RIGHTS ARE BEING VIOLATED BY A TYRANT TO BIG TO FIGHT BACK..

1. Daniel Nathan Ballard

9

Answered . Everyone, including non-citizens, who does business in the United States must comply with the federal and state laws that govern that business. You are no exception. If you do not like the laws that govern the business you've chosen then either try to change them or do not engage in that business. It's that simple. Note: When a U.S. citizen does business in a foreign country that person must comply with that country's laws -- and many of those laws are very "unjust" [from the U.S. citizen's point of view].

2. Michael Charles Doland

8

Answered . Mr. Ballard is totally correct. If you want to be paid, you need to comply with all laws, including tax laws that apply.

3. Dana Howard Shultz

8

Answered . The purpose of Section 2257 is, indeed, to protect children - please see the article at the link below.

As summarized in the article, the current state of the law is that Section 2257 is constitutional, though there is an ongoing challenge that has not been successful, so far.

As my colleagues have noted, if your activities are subject to US law, you must comply with US law. You should take the time and energy you have put into protesting and redirect them to compliance, instead.

This information does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  4. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

4

Answered . if you want to do business in the US you must comply with US laws. the US government and the US Constitution controls the laws the US, not you and not your sense of righteousness. Many of the protections under the US Constitution are applicable to US citizens and not to foreigners. You do not get to pick and choose which ones those are.

5. Andrew Mark Jaffe

Pro

3

Answered . The company must comply with Section 2257 and keep your record on file. Therefore, it is the Company who will require the Section 2257 information from you so that they are not violating the law.

As to a Government issued ID - that can take the form of a drivers license, passport etc. Most countries to issues these types of identity forms to their populations.

If you want to continue in this career, you are going to need to provide the company's you work for the Section 2257 information or they will not hire you.

6. Philip Leon Marcus

2

Answered . I do not understand how the asker got into the US without a passport from his or her nation and a US visa. The passport would be an excellent government ID. My mind wanders on to other reasons for not wanting to comply, like in the US without documents or on a visa that prohibits gainful employment.