Is the "lender" responsible for proving a deed when a property is bought?

Asked about 2 years ago - Waltham, MA

I bought an apartment unit in 2006 but never received a deed along with the paperwork I signed. Is my bank responsible for providing me with a deed? I no longer have contact information for the person I bought the unit from.

1. Laurel H. Siegel

6

1

Answered . The closing attorney who handled the closing for your bank should have provided you with a copy of your deed. That said, many deeds in Massachusetts are available to view and print online. You may go to the State's web site here http://www.sec.state.ma.us/rod/rodgde/gdeidx.htm , select the town where your property is located to be directed to the web site for the Registry of Deeds where your Deed would have been recorded. You may then search for your deed either under your name or the property address. If it is in a county that does not have records available online, you may also go directly to the Registry of Deeds where the Deed was recorded and obtain a copy in person.

2. Todd Allen Davidson

3

1

Answered . G under your name. Your other otion is to call the attorney's office that handled the closing and request a copy from them.o to www.masslandrecords.com, click on your county and then search under your name or you could call the lender's attorney to obtain a copy.

3. Jennifer L. DiCarlo

2

1

Answered . 2 things: 1) you can acess your deed by going to the Registry of Deeds for the county in which the property is located and purchasing a copy (usually $1.00/page) or by downloading a copy from their website (some registries require a subscription to actually download a copy, but you shoudl be able to view it) or by requesting a copy from the Registry by mail (send them a self-addressed stamped envelope with your request and the appropriate fee and be sure to provide them with book and page numbers or document number); and/or 2) You can contact the attorney that closed the transaction. They may have the orignal in their file.

FYI, when you get a copy of the deed or review it on the Registry website, it may reference (usually in the lower right hand corner of the deed) who the original deed was mailed to after recording.

If the property involves registered land, the original is probably still with the Reigstry of Deeds and you'll only be able to obtain a copy of it as they retain original registered land documents.