Is Texas a community debt state?

Asked about 3 years ago - Weatherford, TX

I know Texas is a community property state, but my question pertains only to debt and if 1 spouse files bankruptcy alone. Can creditors go after the other spouse to repay these debts. I have looked on alot of websites and they all disagree with each other concerning the debt issues. So please only reply if you know the laws in Texas for sure.
Seems as if attorneys in Texas also disagree. I would like to know where to find the actual law in Texas legal code

1. Daniel Joseph Ciment

Pro

Answered . Community property also means community debt. But to answer your questions, unless the spouse is a co-signor on the account the creditors are not going to come after them.

Legally they could but they will not. I have been dealing with debt issues for several years on both sides, as a owner of a collection agency and now as an attorney who defends people sued for unpaid debts and I have never seen or heard of a creditor going after a spouse that was not a co-signor on an account.

2. Theodore Lyons Araujo

Pro

Answered . Here is a good place to start to look up the law. self help books, etc., but the answer really depends on the type of debt in a community property state.

3. Theodore Lyons Araujo

Pro

Answered . Here is another source for the Texas Code.