Skip to main content

Is Texas a 50/50 state for custody?

Killeen, TX |

I am going through a divorce. My husband text messaged me saying he didn't want his name on our daughters birth certificate. Because he's mad I put both his and mine on there. He then text messaged me saying either I sign the forms his attorney is drawing up agreeing to him having no visitation in exchange for no child support for our daughter or else he will fight for 50/50. I said I'd sign it because due to his drinking and verbal abuse I fear for our childs safety. Then when I asked him if he felt this was honestly fair he said "I don't want anything to do with it but if you contest this we'll do 50/50" I would never agree to 50/50. What are the chances he'd win? Do texts hold up in court? I have over 1,000 texts saved of him admitting to adultery, admitting his drinking problem etc.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. Get a lawyer. This guy is full of it. Texas is not usually a 50/50 state for possession of a child. If the child is young and dad is an abusive drunk, it will NOT happen. His lawyer knows better than to draw up a decree/order providing for no visitation and no child support. That dog won't hunt. The obligations are independent from each other. A Texas judge will not let him off the child support obligation. GET to a LAWYER ASAP

    I am not intending this to be legal advice, because I don't know the particulars of your situation. Call me if you would like to discuss this or other isues.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics