IS TAX FILING IF ON SSID & SSI (WIFE) NEEDED?NO OTHER INCOMES ALL UNDER 21K+ARE THERE STATUTES/LIMITATIONS ON BACK TAXES OWED?

New Hyde Park, NY |

WE HAVE BEEN RECEIVING THESE BENEFITS FOR OVER 6 YRS AND WERE NEVER ADVISED BY SSA WE HAD TO FILE...THERE ARE OUTSTANDING BACK TAXES OWED
FED & NYS DURING PERIOD I DID WORK BETWEEN 1987 TO 1993 - CREDIT IS TOTALLY SHOT WITH NO VIABLE ASSETS TO EVEN TRY TO SETTLE-WE'VE BEEN LIVING NEAR THE EDGE OF THE ABYSS ALL THIS TIME, CAN ANYTHING BE DONE?
THANK AGAIN FOR YOUR VALUABLE INSIGHTS
GEORGE/NEW HYDE PARK

SSA has no responsibility to tell you to file a tax return. Your back taxes due do not have anything to do with your current filing requirement. You should get this cleared up before the government levies on your SSA payments. You can make an offer in compromise on this outstanding debt. You may or may not have a current filing requirement. Consult with a local tax professional to run the numbers for you. You may want to file regardless to start the statute of limitations which does not begin until an actual return is filed.

Any individual seeking legal advice for their own situation should retain their own legal counsel as this response provides information that is general in nature and not specific to any person's unique situation. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Advice given in this response cannot be used to eliminate penalties with the IRS or any other governmental agency.

If you want an answer, do not use all caps. Many AVVO lawyers will not respond. It is rude. IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU ARE YELLING!!!!!!!

DISCLAIMER—This answer is for informational purposes only under the AVVO system, its terms and conditions. It is not intended as specific legal advice regarding your question. The answer could be different if all the facts were known. This answer does not establish an attorney client relationship. I am admitted only in California. (Bryant) Keith Martin sbbizlaw.com

There is no statute of limitations on unfiled returns, or fraudulently filed returns. When you do not file, you leave open the opportunity that they can mess with you forever. They usually will not mess with taxes incurred 25 years ago, but nothing stops them under the law. And you still have the same duty to substantiate despite the fact that the records are long gone, or the IRS wins.

My suggestion would be to go back and file all of your past returns, or this can happen again and again.

Christopher Larson
www.insightlawfirm.com
www.insightlawfirm.wordpress.com

Thank you Mr. Larson I do have some plan in mind...your advice is well taken