Is talking about someone on social media, Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, etc considered stalking?

Las Vegas, NV |

Everyday, I see people on social networks talking about other people and insulting them. From celebrities to politics to someone that broke their heart. I understand that stalking can be if you continue to contact someone when they don't want to be bothered with you, but how can it be stalking if you talk about someone on social media even in the negative? If that's the case, then wouldn't millions of people around the country be considered a stalker?

1. If there is an issue then speak with someone from the social media companies to report a problem--generally that will take care of the issue--good luck.

*This information should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.

2. It is unlikely to be considered stalking, but depending on who it is directed to and the reason it may be considered harassment.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

3. It depends on the circumstances. In most cases it would not be considered stalking, but if there is a pattern of pointed behavior, especially if there is a restraining order, it might be. If you have a specific question about your (or someone else's) behavior, your best bet is to speak with a criminal defense attorney familiar with the law.

I am licensed in Pennsylvania. Members of my firm are licensed in various states, including Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. We handle cases involving personal injury (car accidents slip and falls, etc.,) medical malpractice, nursing home abuse, workers' compensation, social security disability and legal malpractice. Nothing I write on Avvo is legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in anything I write on Avvo without retaining your own lawyer in your state. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance.

Internet law topics