Is speddy trial and DEMAND SPEEDY TRIAL the same thing?

Asked about 2 years ago - Hialeah, FL

are the forms to file motion the same, where can I obtain them please???

1. Elmer Sanchez

12

1

Answered . No. You can have the time for a speedy trial expire (90 days for misdemeanor and 175 for felony) If that happens, the defendant can file a Notice of expiration of speedy trial. The court Must then have a hearing on the matter and set the case for trial all within 15 days. A demand for Speedy says that the defendant is ready for trial and the court then has a hearing and sets the matter for trial within 60 days. The demand can be filed prior to the speedy trial time noted above having expired.

2. Karen Jean Tufte

6

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. sanchez. However, I want to add that if you have continued your case, you have waived your right to a speedy trial and the only way get it back is to file a demand for speedy trial. You should really discuss this and whether this is the best thing to do in your case with an attirney in your area. Good luck!

Karen J Tufte
    Board Certified Criminal Trial Attorney
    772-489-9096
    www.tuftelawoffice.com

3. John Skyler Riordan

2

1

Answered . Yes it is the same terminology. Again, be very careful with speedy trial. It very rarely helps the defendant. Usually it simply results in a speedy guilty. I would consult with an attorney in your area regarding the specific facts of your case. There is no "form" that can be provided to you. Simply write a letter to the judge and title it demand for speedy trial. Again, i do not recommend doing this unless advised by your lawyer.

4. David Richard Damore

Pro

2

Answered . no

5. Dave Bahr

3

Answered . You really should talk to a lawyer before doing anything else. Good luck.