Skip to main content

Is some thing wrong with our petition?

South Bend, IN |

my wife is a US citizen and am from Nigeria.we go married in UAE and she filled for i-130 which was received on the 15th of october 2012.counting from when USCIS got the petition its been 6 months and still under initial just so worried if some thing is wrong or does some one knows how long it will take for aproval

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


We cannot know. I doubt that one of the attorneys here on AVVO is the officer working on your case. If you find that 6 months is too long a time, you can schedule an infopass appointment and discuss this matter with USCIS. I can only add that having this work done by a competent immigration attorney might have saved you a lot of hassle.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


Please contact the USCIS to find out about your case. 1-800-375-5283 or


Unknown. We know none of the details of the petition.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


It is hard to say without knowing the details of your case. Check with USCIS, as my colleague recommended.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


I agree with my colleagues. You may contact the USCIS to find out more information. . . but I cannot know if there is an issue in your case by this post. If you contact USCIS you may also ask if the case is past the processing time? if yes then you may request a status inquiry be sent. I would urge you to contact an experienced immigration attorney to guide you through the process.

DISCLAIMER: The information you obtained in this answer is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice and it should not be construed as a formation of a client-attorney relationship or legal representation, which can only occur after the execution of a formal engagement letter or retainer agreement. For a FREE Consultation call (212) 804-5770 or visit us at


Processing times change. If you are in Nigeria let your wife consult with an immigration attorney to assess your chances of success. Best Wishes!
Lalita Haran
Attorney: Immigration Law
13295 Illinois St Ste 128
Carmel IN 46032
Ph: (317) 660-6174

Contact (317) 660-6174 for specific legal advice. Answers here are not legal advice because they are of general nature and not tailored to your specific situation. You should not act on this answer without checking with an Immigration Attorney.

Form I-130 (alien relative) topics

Recommended articles about Form I-130 (alien relative)

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer