Is Saturday considered a business day in Virginia as it pertains to contracts?

Asked over 4 years ago - Suffolk, VA

I signed a contract for air conditioning service. I then got a better deal and cancelled the first contract within the 3 (three) business days as stated. I was then sent a bill for almost $1,000.00 stating that I didn't cancel in time because Saturday counted as a business day. The contract didn't specify that the three business day cancellation provision included Saturdays. Is the contract enforceable? No work was performed.

1. Mitchell Paul Goldstein

Answered . If you are referring to the statute about canceling a home solicitation contract, it does not define business day. If the contract does not define it, the only definitions I can find in the Code of Virginia that deal with trade and commerce state the a business day means any day except Sunday or a legal holiday. You may have a problem. Consult an attorney to try to defend if you are sued.

Good Luck.

[This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

Mitchell P. Goldstein
    Richmond, VA 23230
    804-673-4358 Office
    mitch@mitchellpgoldstein.com Email

2. Sammid J Mansoor

Answered . It all depends on the contract; a contract that has been drafted properly will include definitions.

First look to the contract, if it contains a definition for business days, then that is what will control.

Now look at the definition, since a lawyer probably drafted it, and contract lawyers enjoy their weekends, it probably does not include Saturday as a “business day.”

If the contract is silent as to the definition, then the contract term is ambiguous, and open for interpretation. (Typically by a judge)

You argument will be that in the “normal” use of the term, business days are Monday – Friday and does not include Saturday, otherwise why would there be a distinction. And that was your understaninding at the time of contract formation.

Their argument would be that “business days” would include all days that they are open.
    The good news is that ambiguities are charged against the drafter, because if they wrote it, they should have been more precise.

It appears that the company is trying to push you around. A well drafted letter from an attorney will probably push back hard enough for them to return your deposit. I need more information, in order to advise you more.

Good Luck, if you found this helpful, click on the “thumbs up” below, and should you need any more assistance, please feel free to contact me.

Sam

The Mansoor Law Firm, PLLC, also owns and operates the Virginia Virtual Law Firm, at www.onlinevalegalforms.com. The Virginia Virtual Law Firm is a cost efficient consumer resource that provides inexpensive limited legal services by way of attorney drafted legal forms and letters.

Sam Mansoor, Attorney
    Mansoor Law Firm, PLLC
    116 R Edwards Ferry Rd NE
    Leesburg, VA 20176
    (703) 404-7733
    www.loudounlawyer.com
    www.onlinevalegalforms.com

Disclaimer
    The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision & should not be based solely upon advertisements. This site presents general information & is not intended as legal advice. Accessing this page, & any interior pages, is a request for information. That notwithstanding, nothing on these pages, or on any pages linked to these pages, shall be construed as legal advice, nor shall anything on these pages by itself operate to create an attorney/client relationship. An attorney/client relationship cannot be created before the firm has accepted the representation. Acceptance cannot occur before the firm engages you with services & runs a conflict check & your have been notified that you are a client of the law office by email or other written means. Please do not make legal decisions without first having a direct one on one consultation with a Virginia Attorney or an Attorney in you area that knows the relevant facts of your case. www.loudounlawyer.com & www.onlinevalegalforms.com

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]