Is salvia legal in New Jersey?

Asked over 2 years ago - Asbury Park, NJ

I was recently arrested and charged with marijuana possession and drug paraphernalia, but I didn't have any marijuana on me and don't smoke it. I had a plant called salvia in my possession, but they charged me with marijuana possession after inspecting the car. They said they're gonna send it to a lab to get tested, and the results should be back in time for my court date. I'm wondering what should I expect and what should I do.

1. Mark M Cheser

2

Answered . That is a new one on me. Sorry. If it is a controled substance you may have a problem. But if they test for THC and it is not you should be OK. If it is CDS you have aproblem. Sorry I can't be of more help. I will try to look it up and comment. I am sure one of my colleagues knows.

2. Thomas Carroll Blauvelt

Pro

1

Answered . Mr. Cheser is correct. There's not much information on salvia in NJ but I have heard talk of this. Retain counsel to be sure.

3. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

2

Answered . Did a quick google. It has a psychedelic drug/component. You would need to carefully read all of the potential drug statutes to have an answer. [Unless it is mentioned specifically]. Hire or at least consut with a NJ attorney.