Is Safeguard Properties negligent, or in any way liable, for my $60,000 loss?

Leonardtown, MD |
Filed under: Tenant rights

I returned to my home, in St. Mary's County MD., after a five month absence. I am not in foreclosure. I found the utilities off, the front door handset lock changed and a note taped to the door, from Safeguard Properties. The rear slider, off the deck, was unlocked and, upon entering my home, I found it ransacked. The entry door to the garage had been destroyed from inside the home. Approximately $50,000 in personal property was missing. The front and garage entry doors were damaged, beyond repair. The external garage door was damaged and the kitchen floor was damaged beyond repair. Safeguard assigned an "Escalation Manager". Three months later, I was told this manager had transitioned out of theft claims. Nothing had been done and I was referred to their legal department.

You have not provided enough information. What is your relationship to Safeguard? Did you hire them to watch or manage your property?

Safeguard is the prperty securing arm of Bank of America. BOA holds the note on the property. Apparently, someone, somewhere at sn undetermined time decidedthe property was vacant, even though everything I own was in the home. BOA had valid email and phone contacts and I was never contacted, prior to the property being taken.

Craig Meyers

Craig Meyers

Look at whatever documents you have and see if there is a definition for abandoned. ALso, you should schedule a consult with a local attorney.

My colleague is correct. You don't provide enough information for us to answer your question.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

Landlord-tenant topics