Skip to main content

Is Roth IRA conversion (converting from traditional to Roth IRA) considered income available for child support in Pennsylvania?

Philadelphia, PA |
Filed under: Divorce Alimony Tax law

2010 Roth IRA conversion, where 50% of the IRA balance is reflected as taxable income in 2011 and 50% in 2012.

Attorney Answers 1


A conversion takes an asset from pre-tax to post tax. The asset does not change, but you are taxed on it. You have to take other money and pay the tax.

A one-time conversion should not be the same as describing a source of income upon which a computation should be made to may any sort of meaningful impact on a regular income stream from which a governmental / child / other support obligation is computed.

If the person finds $1, he is supposed to report it and take it into income. However, should a one-time event affect a computation that is supposed to be performed as to a SUSTAINABLE stream of income?

Would doing this make ANY sense? Even if it were a $100,000 conversion, its not an income stream, AND its a one shot event.

Please remember to designate your question's BEST ANSWER.

Please remember to designate your question's BEST ANSWER.

Curt Harrington
(562) 594-9784
Visit the Library:

Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal Specialization PATENTAX.COM This communication is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This communication should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics