Is reporting someone for marriage/immigration fraud the right thing to do?? Green card scam.

Asked 7 months ago - Boston, MA

Should I feel bad for reporting my "ex-husband" for marriage fraud who just used me to come here and get a green card? We were not even married 6 months before I realized he was using me. Now he will be applying with I-751 waiver to remove conditions on his own. He had a gf the whole time in his country and wants to bring her here. He mistreated me, emotionally abused me, threatened me, did not want to be intimate with me, took my money etc. He never even liked me. He fooled me............................I know he wanted a better life from his poor country, but he should not have used me. I had to be on medications because of this and need therapy. I was only 20. Should I feel bad for reporting him to immigration for fraud? I only did it when I found out he wants to bring his real gf here.

1. Scott Thomas Helsper

Pro

6

1

Answered . If it was truly fraud and not just wanting to get revenge, it is not wrong.

2. Aneliya M. Angelova

Pro

5

Answered . This is not a legal question. I cannot tell you whether you 'should feel bad' because i don't know his side of the story. Try to forget about him and move on with your life. Plenty of fish in the sea.

This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.
  3. Ajay Kumar Arora

5

Answered . No one on this forum is going to defend this miscreant if factual. If it makes you feel better, write a cathartic letter and submit to the USCIS.

The outcome cannot be predicted, since the USCIS may disregard it as another letter from a disgruntled former spouse.

4. Obadan Unuigbojie Iziokhai

Pro

5

Answered . Your hurt feelings are completely understandable but the decision is entirely yours.

5. Stephen D. Berman

5

Answered . It's completely up to you. It will make it somewhat harder for him to have his condition removed, but you should assume he will be able to keep his status and eventually become a citizen.

6. Paul Christopher Hannaford

5

Answered . It sounds like you have been through and awful lot and I sympathize. If it truly was a case of fraud he should not be able to remove his conditions. Whether or not you should feel 'bad' for reporting the issue is not something that can be addressed here. It will make it harder for him to have the conditions removed as USCIS will investigate your claims and if they are found true he will not be able to remove his conditions. and could be subject to a criminal and civil penalties as could you if you were found to have voluntary purported the fraud. If you did not report it then your side of the story may go unheard.

Pro

3

1

Answered . Reporting fraud is best