Is refusing to hire someone because they have been convicted of a crime discrimination? where can i find an attorney to help me?

Asked over 1 year ago - Anna, IL

I was convicted of a crime, served all of my time, i am not on parole supervised release, or anything else, and have had 97 interviews with company's in the last 19 months, and when they get to a background check they want to tell me that they can't hire me. I had my W2 paperwork signed for one company and the HR manager came out and said, " we can't hire him, he has been convicted of a crime". Is that NOT discrimination? can some one help me with this

1. Justin G. Randolph

Answered . As you're in Illinois the Illinois Human Rights Act governs your situation and depending on the specific facts what you're describing may be a violation of the law. But it is case specific so I would give an attorney a call on Monday to see if your situation fits.

2. Judy A. Goldstein

Answered . An employer can hire or fire for any reason, no reason or even a wrong reason. Illinois is an at will employment state. Unless you are a union member or were discriminated against because of your membership in a protected class such as race, religion, etc., you are probably out of luck. Conviction of a crime is not a protected class so you were not discriminated against. Unfortunately, you are limited to seeking employment where background checks are not conducted. Sorry.

3. Jeffrey Morris Jacobson

Answered . There are certain restrictions on using criminal history to deny someone a job. However, your crime based on the punishment does not appear to be one of them. You should contract the IDHR and talk to them.

4. Paula Brown Sinclair

Answered . At the risk of being the bad-news messenger, the answer is that nobody has a legal right to a job, and employers are required to constantly make choices. No law prohibits an employer from choosing to not hire someone with a criminal record.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.