Is recording conversations in the workplace legal in CA?

Lisa and Den are colleagues. They don’t get alone with each other. Lisa once recorded their conversation and showed it to their manager to against Den. Can Lisa do this? Can Den suit Lisa for recording their conversation without his permission? I would like to know the legality of an employee recording conversations in the workplace without the other employees’ knowledge. Is this legal in CA?

Walnut Creek, CA -

Steven Alan Fink

Steven Alan Fink

Real Estate Attorney - Newport Beach, CA

CA Penal Code Section 632 makes it a crime to record any confidential communication in CA, whether it is in workplace or not. Key is that one of the parties has a reasonable expectation of privacy. If only two of you are present and no third party can overhear, there is reasonable expectation of privacy.

You can get civil penalties under Section 637.2 and can seek criminal charges as well.

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

Administrative Law Lawyer - Pasadena, CA

This question has the flavor of a homework question...

Jonathan Patrick Beck

Jonathan Patrick Beck

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Attorney - Oceanside, CA

Not only is it illegal if there is an expectation of privacy, any recording is inadmissible in court.

Related Advice