Is receiving welfare benefits while having and not reporting a foreign bank account comitting a fraud?

Olympia, WA |

welfare application asked about bank information, but didn't ask specifically about foreign bank account.

First, I will try to tag this State law for a more state specific response.

Second, yes, failing to list all bank accounts is fraud.

Third, if this really happened, do not post anything else here. This website is not privileged and is open to the public, and SSA, the State, the police - all have people who spend time looking at sites like this to find evidence to use against people.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

If you're hiding assets, you're committing fraud.

If you believe that some action is soon to happen, you should discuss this matter with a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. If you are contacted by an investigator for the Department of Public Welfare, you should not give a statement without the benefit of discussing your case with an attorney.

I also agree with the answers provided. When completing an application for welfare benefits, I believe that a reasonable person would understand that the Department is taking into consideration all of your assets.

Andrew W. Norfleet, Esquire Helping disabled individuals throughout Pennsylvania. awn@norlaflaw.com www.norlaflaw.com DISCLAIMER: This post is intended as general information applicable only to the state of Pennsylvania and is personal in nature, not professional in nature. The information given is based strictly upon the facts provided. This post is not intended to create an attorney client relationship, or to provide any specific guarantee of confidentiality