Is receiving welfare benefits while having and not reporting a foreign bank account comitting a fraud?

Asked over 1 year ago - Olympia, WA

welfare application asked about bank information, but didn't ask specifically about foreign bank account.

1. Vitaliy Kertchen

Pro

5

Answered . If you're hiding assets, you're committing fraud.

2. Andrew W. Norfleet

Pro

5

Answered . If you believe that some action is soon to happen, you should discuss this matter with a criminal defense attorney as soon as possible. If you are contacted by an investigator for the Department of Public Welfare, you should not give a statement without the benefit of discussing your case with an attorney.

I also agree with the answers provided. When completing an application for welfare benefits, I believe that a reasonable person would understand that the Department is taking into consideration all of your assets.

3. Clifford Michael Farrell

4

Answered . First, I will try to tag this State law for a more state specific response.

Second, yes, failing to list all bank accounts is fraud.

Third, if this really happened, do not post anything else here. This website is not privileged and is open to the public, and SSA, the State, the police - all have people who spend time looking at sites like this to find evidence to use against people.