Is public intoxication a minor misdemeanor and will it affect my citizenship?

Asked 12 months ago - West Lafayette, IN

I am a student at Purdue and I was arrested this weekend for a public intoxication. I stayed in the drunk tank for 12 hours and released. I did not take finger prints and only thing i had to do was sign few forms as i was being released and they issued me a court date. I know public intoxication is a class B misdemeanor but can this affect my application for citizenship? I plan on applying within this year. This is my first offense in Indiana and my only other charge was a criminal citation for metro fare evasion in maryland.

1) how serious is a public intoxication?
2) will this charge affect my citizenship?
3) are public intoxication and disorderly conduct seperate charges?

Thank you so much for your time.

1. Christina Jonae Oleson

5

Answered . You should speak with a licensed Indiana immigration attorney to discuss the potential immigration consequences. I edited the practice area to immigration, so your question can get more exposure.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

5

Answered . I agree with my colleague -- talk with an immigration attorney in your area.

3. James C Forslund

3

Answered . Post this under immigration.

4. Lalita Haran

2

Answered . Immigration consequence of criminal conviction is a complex world. You should gather the police report, court records detailing the charges and immigration document and talk to an immigration attorney who can advice you on the local criminal law.

5. Gerald R Stahl

Pro

1

Answered . I am not an Indiana attorney, but generally disorderly conduct and public intoxication are the same statute. In other words you are disorderly by being publicly intoxicated. This is normally not a serious charge, however, it might have consequences for you. You should plead not guilty. There are many states that have diversion plans for first offenders. Those options will keep a conviction off your record. In some situations the cases re dismissed. I just did a disorderly at Michigan State under a program where the case is dismissed and the defendant takes a class. So, talk to a local criminal defense lawyer about those options. Good Luck!