Is psychological gaslighting criminal? If so, what are the elements to prove this type of psychological abuse.

Asked about 2 years ago - Atwater, CA

and what are the potential penalties carried? Is it considered a felony or misd.? Or is it all depending on the resulting injury?

1. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

2

Answered . Domestic violence charges involve the use of force, not psychological manipulation. There may be civil remedies.

2. Stephen Ross Cohen

2

Answered . I give up what is gaslighting, a lamp, a stove, a fart? My sister complains her husband farts too much at night, but i reply than why stay married for over 25 years, buy incense, a nose plug or get glade.

Gaslighting is a form of psychological abuse in which false information is presented with the intent of making a victim doubt his or her own memory, perception and sanity.[1] Instances may range simply from the denial by an abuser that previous abusive incidents ever occurred, up to the staging of bizarre events by the abuser with the intention of disorienting the victim.
    The term "gaslighting" comes from the play Gas Light and its film adaptations. The term is now also used in clinical and research literature

I do not believe it is a criminal matter unless it involves a minor, and to what degree is also a question. Is it merely joking, teasing or done with some other intent that can be infered. I would need to explore this in much more depth.