Is Pro Se litigant entitled for monetary sanction fees in Motion to Compel further response to Discovery Request?

I filed a motion to compel further response to discovery request. I am not a lawyer but I prepared all the paper by myself. I requested sanction to recovery the time I spent in preparing the motion.

San Francisco, CA -

Rebekah Ryan Main

Rebekah Ryan Main

Lawsuit / Dispute Attorney - Rancho Cucamonga, CA

The short answer is no, unfortunately you are not entitled to “fees” as a pro per litigant. If it is any consolation, I would not be entitled to fees myself (even though I am an attorney) if I prepared a Motion to Compel in my own litigation matter. Basically, you are entitled to be reimbursed for the money it cost you, such as filing fees, etc.

Best of luck to you.

Attorney Rebekah Ryan Main

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer or select it as Best Answer. It’s easy and appreciated.

This response is intended to be a general statement of law, should not be relied upon as legal advice, does not create an attorney/client relationship and does not create a right to continuing email exchanges. We can be visited on the web at www.Main-Law.com or call 909-891-0906.

Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Litigation Lawyer - San Marino, CA

No. If you are not an attorney, you will not be entitled to recovery attorney fees as reasonable sanctions for any discovery motions. Parties appearing in pro per may not recover attorney fees through discovery sanctions. (Kravitz v. Sup.Ct. (Milner) (2001) 91 Cal.App.4th 1015, 1020—but such parties may recover reasonably identifiable litigation costs (e.g., photocopying, transportation to and from court, etc.) even if those costs would ordinarily be included in a lawyer's hourly rate.)

In fact, in the case of Argaman v. Ratan (1999) 73 Cal.App.4th 1173, 1175, the court held that a party in pro per (although an attorney) cannot be awarded attorney’s fees as a discovery sanction.

Constantine D. Buzunis

Constantine D. Buzunis

Litigation Lawyer - San Diego, CA

I agree with Attorney Main.