Is prison plausible for a distribution of cocaine charge first offense?

Sidney, NE |

SIx months ago a confidential informant wore a wire on me and bought less than 1 gram of cocaine from me in a friends house which is within a 1,000 feet of a school. I was arrested and charged with a class ID felony 3 weeks ago and served 20 days in county before posting bail. Within 6 days of my arrest a plea was offered by the District Attorney for a class III felony. I know the minimums and maximums for each offense. But my question is; being as I just turned 20 the first of August and have no prior record, and am doing an in-patient rehab treatment before sentencing. Would a year in prison be plausible? Or am I looking a 6-9 months in county? I'm hoping for the 20 days in county and the time spent in rehab will count as time served and save me from prison.

I did not denote that my case was just bound to district court and have plead not-guilty thus far. And I also note that I do have legal council (court appointed) but would like some reassurance as to how to plan my next couple of years.

If this was a Federal case you would fall under Holder's new memo. (see link).

Yes, the case requires a good counsel even if you may not receive a hard sentence due to the recent federal announcements (provided your case is federal).

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602

Prison is always possible, but with no history I would say unlikely. Hire your own attorney to help. Time is treatment is not counted but will count in your case.

Most lawyers will give you a free consultation if you ask for one.

If you case was already bound over, then you certainly have your own counsel, appointed or hired. You should ask these questions to that counsel. If you have appointed counsel and are not satisfied with him or her, you are always free to hire your own attorney. Because of some of the language you used, I assume this is a state charge and not federal. The range of the class 3 felony is 1-20 years. I don't know the district judge there, but would guess that prison is a good possibility.

Federal crime topics

Recommended articles about Federal crime