Is pre-trial diversion considered a suspended sentence?

Asked over 1 year ago - El Paso, TX

I am currently applying for a city job where they are asking on the application, "Have you ever been convicted of a MISDEMEANOR or FELONY and/or placed on probation, fined or given a suspended sentence such as deferred adjudication in court?" Now regrettably I made a mistake 3 years ago and charged with a class b theft misdemeanor. I completed a PTD program and the record has been "destroyed" but the charge is still visible and mentions completion of PTD. Is this something I have to put into my application? Is pre trial dismissal a suspended sentence?

1. Cynthia Russell Henley

9

Answered . You need to expunge that case so it will be completely wiped off your record!!

Anyway, you have not been on a suspended sentence (which means probation or deferred). Your case was reset for you to fulfill a contract of obligations which then resulted in a dismissal.

Cynthia Henley
    713-222-1220

2. Richard Timothy Jones

5

Answered . No. You do need to get your record expunged.

Www.Austincriminaldefenseattorney.Com
    512-495-1813
    Austin Expungement and Jail Release Attorney

3. Kimberly F. Minick

4

Answered . No your Pretrial diversion program and dismissal are not considered convictions or suspended sentences/probation. Under those circumstances as you have described, you would not have to list that situation. I agree with the other lawyers that you need to speak to an attorney about an expunction. Good luck!

4. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

3

Answered . I agree with Ms. Henley and Mr. Jones. You need to get with a lawyer who handles expunctions and discuss the possibility of seeking an expunction.