Is petition to partition reversible once the process is started?

Rehoboth, MA |
Filed under: Real estate

If the other party comes to realize the costliness of petition to partition and agrees to sell privately, can the petition be dropped?

As long as a judgment hasn't entered. In fact, the court will be very, very happy to dismiss such a petition if you can settle with the other side of the case!

Yes, I believe so.

No attorney-client relatonship is created in responding to this question, and advice provided is based solely on very limited facts presented, and therefore may not be correct. You are advised that it is always best to contact a competent and experienced with the practice of law in the county in which you reside, particularly as it relates to family law, child support, custody and visitation (a/k/a "parenting time") issues, including 209A abuse-prevention restraining orders (a/k/a "ROs" in legal-speak), regarding un-emancipated children, under the age of 22.

It certainly can.

To questioners from West Virginia & New York: Although I am licensed to practice in your state, I practice on a day-to-day basis in Massachusetts. I answer questions in your state in areas of the law in which I practice, and in which I feel comfortable trying to offer you assistance based on my knowledge of specific statutes in your state and/or general principles applicable in all states. It is always best, however, to work with attorneys and court personnel in your own area to deal with specific problems and factual situations.

Recommended articles about Real estate