Is opposition possible regarding disclaimed elements of a configuration trademark ?

Asked about 1 year ago - Sacramento, CA

A disclaimer states that the applicant or registrant does not claim the exclusive right to use a specified element or elements of the mark in a trademark application or registration, apart from the mark as a whole. A disclaimer is appropriate to disclaim non distinctive matter of a tradedress mark. A mark that consists of product design trade dress is namely never inherently distinctive. As per definition a trade dress consists of a combination of distinctive and non-distinctive elements. It may occur, that an applicant disclaims a particular element which he considers to be non-distinctive, but it appears that this matter once has been claimed as a disctinctive element of a tradedress by a previous applicant. Has the previous applicant a ground for opposition?

To clarify the question: Can you oppose to an element, which the applicant has disclaimed ? ( in case you have claimed this or a likely similar element in an earlier application)

1. Daniel Nathan Ballard

5

Answered . Q: "Can you oppose to an element, which the applicant has disclaimed ... ?"
    R: No. The trade dress of a product or its packaging is the cumulative whole of its elements. Any opposition to the registration of that dress must be to that cumulative whole.

2. Gary Ralph Ilmanen

2

Answered . If I understand the question, you probably cannot oppose based upon a disclamed element.

3. Frank A. Natoli

Pro

2

Answered . I agree, no.

If this is regards to an actual opposition proceeding or one that you intend to initiate, I strongly advise seeking some help with it. These can get rather complicated quickly and even experienced TM lawyers often have to research rules and methodology.

I suggest that you consult with a lawyer in private and discuss your objectives in more detail. You can start by calling around to several for a free phone consultation, get some insights then pick the best fit to work with.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC

4. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

2

Answered . I take it you want to oppose the disclaimer element because you claim it is distinctively yours and not properly disclaimed. You would likely need to just write a CDL to the applicant and demand they stop using your trademark and advise them it is not subject to disclaimer and cannot be a part of their mark without likelihood of confusion as to source with your mark. Except that YOU have no business writing such a letter. If you write it, you will likely end up saying or not saying something and lose your trademark. Trademark conflicts need to be handled by trademark attorneys not novices. You are here asking because you don't know enough to do this on your own. Recognize that and get an attorney.
    For Sacremento, you might contact Scott Pink http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/95814-ca-scott-pi...

5. Drew Alia

1

Answered . The Opposition is based upon the entire mark as a whole.