Is opening someone elses mail illegal?

Chattanooga, TN |
Filed under: Civil rights

Ive changed my address at the post office here in TN but for some reason some of my mail is still being sent to my mother in NC. Ive already told her not to open anything else but she keeps opening and going through my mail. She just recently opened an insurance check addressed to me, put it in another envelope and mailed it to me (three weeks from the check date). What can I do? Is this illegal?

1. Yes, this is a federal offense.

Talk to the Post Office immediately about straightening out the matter of the address forwarding.

If you find my answer helpful, please click the ‘thumbs-up’ tab below. Thank you.

I truly wish you the best.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies. In the event that you have follow up questions, please post them directly on this site. This does not create an attorney-client relationship and the attorney does not read unsolicited emails. Thank You.

Civil rights topics