Is online gambling in the state of Connecticut legal?

New Canaan, CT |

I understand that there are some laws prohibiting online gambling; however, through what I have garnered over the internet, it seems as though it is not actually illegal if the site is based outside of the United States. Is it really possible to be arrested for placing a bet on an NFL game online?

In theory, yes, it is possible. The odds you'll be arrested are slim, but more importantly the odds you'll be scammed by an illicit gambling site are incredibly high. Since they're located outside the U.S., you have essentially zero recourse when they start adding fees on your account, or outright seize your money. Happens all the time. Or they violate some local law in their jurisdiction and have all their accounts frozen and you're out your entire balance. Do yourself a favor. Go to one of the states that allows sports books and do your gambling there. Delaware would be closest to you, I believe.

I focus my practice on (video) gaming industry, casino gambling, and complex internet law issues, electronic free speech, entertainment law, copyright and trademark law, and computer fraud. I primarily represent game developers and founders of emergent internet technologies. The author is a Maryland attorney; however no answer given on Avvo is intended as legal advice or intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

2. Yes, online gambling is illegal in Connecticut. Yes, it is possible to be arrested for placing a bet online on an NFL game.

This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.

3. It is illegal in California to place a bet online, even if the server is based outside the country.

I am an Attorney-at-Law, licensed to practice law only in the state of California. Unless we have both signed a formal retainer agreement, you are not my client, and my discussion of issues does not constitute legal advice. Opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of those who hold other opinions.

Internet law topics