Is online gambling in the state of Connecticut legal?

Asked 8 months ago - New Canaan, CT

I understand that there are some laws prohibiting online gambling; however, through what I have garnered over the internet, it seems as though it is not actually illegal if the site is based outside of the United States. Is it really possible to be arrested for placing a bet on an NFL game online?

1. Daniel Gary Rosenthal

Pro

4

Best Answer

Answered . In theory, yes, it is possible. The odds you'll be arrested are slim, but more importantly the odds you'll be scammed by an illicit gambling site are incredibly high. Since they're located outside the U.S., you have essentially zero recourse when they start adding fees on your account, or outright seize your money. Happens all the time. Or they violate some local law in their jurisdiction and have all their accounts frozen and you're out your entire balance. Do yourself a favor. Go to one of the states that allows sports books and do your gambling there. Delaware would be closest to you, I believe.

2. Andrew Mark Jaffe

Pro

3

Answered . Yes, online gambling is illegal in Connecticut. Yes, it is possible to be arrested for placing a bet online on an NFL game.

3. Gary Ralph Ilmanen

2

Answered . It is illegal in California to place a bet online, even if the server is based outside the country.