Is often true: That the same lawyer who did the deed and/or POA , the client will use the same lawyer to draft their will?

Newark, NJ |

I received this information a few days ago and wanted to know how true this is?

1. This is called estate planning. The client has a will, trust, living will, DPOA and any other documenation such as a deed prepared by an estate planning attorney.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery Counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is <http://frommtaxes.wordpress.com/> Mr. Fromm is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. Also, there are no recognized legal specialties under Pennsylvania law. Any references to a trust, estate or tax lawyer refer only to the fact that Mr. Fromm limits his practice to these areas of the law. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Fromm strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to ensure proper advice is received. By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question. Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.

2. Estate planning done by one attorney often includes those exact documents and others too

3. Typically these are services associated with a comprehensive estate plan and would be performed by a single attorney. It does not have to be done this way, but it is generally more cost effective and more likely that your overall objectives will be met if you have one attorney handle all of this work for you.

This information is not intended, and should not be construed, as legal advice. I encourage those with questions to consult an attorney of their choice for guidance.

4. My colleagues are all correct as it is part of estate planning, but unless a house was purchased prior to the estate planning process, it is possible that you or your relative utilized a real estate attorney for the purchase of the home. While some real estate attorneys also do wills, as an accommodation to their clients, and to keep the client in-house to earn additional fees, if you have an estate greater than $675,000, then you really need to see an estate planning attorney to prepare your Will, Advanced Medical Directive, Durable Power of Attorney and perhaps other documents that the real estate attorney is not, as a general rule, competent to prepare. Depending on your situation, it may be prudent to place the house in a trust, or to otherwise retitle ownership of the property, which an estate planning attorney can do.

If you would like a consultation, I am located in Livingston, and I can be reached at 973-994-9080.

If you found this answer helpful, please indicate so below.

The foregoing is not intended to be legal advice upon which you may rely as I have not been retained for this purpose.

Wills and estates topics