Is often true: That the same lawyer who did the deed and/or POA , the client will use the same lawyer to draft their will?

I received this information a few days ago and wanted to know how true this is?

Newark, NJ -

Steven J. Fromm

Steven J. Fromm

Estate Planning Attorney - Philadelphia, PA

This is called estate planning. The client has a will, trust, living will, DPOA and any other documenation such as a deed prepared by an estate planning attorney.

Sponsored Listing
Andrew Thomas White

Andrew Thomas White

Estate Planning Attorney - Tipp City, OH

Typically these are services associated with a comprehensive estate plan and would be performed by a single attorney. It does not have to be done this way, but it is generally more cost effective and more likely that your overall objectives will be met if you have one attorney handle all of this work for you.

Alan James Brinkmeier

Alan James Brinkmeier

Lawsuit / Dispute Attorney - Chicago, IL

Estate planning done by one attorney often includes those exact documents and others too

Martin L Bearg

Martin L Bearg

Estate Planning Attorney - Livingston, NJ

My colleagues are all correct as it is part of estate planning, but unless a house was purchased prior to the estate planning process, it is possible that you or your relative utilized a real estate attorney for the purchase of the home. While some real estate attorneys also do wills, as an accommodation to their clients, and to keep the client in-house to earn additional fees, if you have an estate greater than $675,000, then you really need to see an estate planning attorney to prepare your Will, Advanced Medical Directive, Durable Power of Attorney and perhaps other documents that the real estate attorney is not, as a general rule, competent to prepare. Depending on your situation, it may be prudent to place the house in a trust, or to otherwise retitle ownership of the property, which an estate planning attorney can do.

If you would like a consultation, I am located in Livingston, and I can be reached at 973-994-9080.

If you found this answer helpful, please indicate so below.

The foregoing is not intended to be legal advice upon which you may rely as I have not been retained for this purpose.

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.