Is Obstruction of highway-intoxication really a better conviction than a DWI? Why or why not?..In Bexar county, Texas

Asked about 3 years ago - San Antonio, TX

I'm curious about whether getting charged with obstruction of highway intoxication in Texas is really better than getting a DUI / DWI. Or is it just more of a trick used to deter people from going to trial?

1. Cynthia Russell Henley

Answered . Getting convicted for obstruction of highway intoxication is MUCH better than a DWI & all the repercussions regarding a DWI including a 3rd DWI is a felony, license issues, surcharges on the license, potential effect on employment where the job requires driving, etc.

It is certainly a good enticement not to go to trial on a DWI. Generally obstruction of highway is only offered on cases that are not good for the State, and sometimes on some that are good but the offender is a first offender and the facts are not too bad.

BUT, a not guilty or a dismissal is obviously better than taking an obstruction of a highway.

When given this kind of choice - it is kind of like gambling because there is not absolute answer but you must choose.

2. Charles Elwood Soechting Jr.

Answered . Just by the title of the offense, yes, not having a conviction for DWI is a good thing, but obstruction of highway intoxication will carry some of the same stigma as a DWI. If you can fight the whole thing and think you (or your attorney thinks you) can win, then you need to make the calculations of how much you're willing to risk.

At the end of the day, the conviction has a better name and carries less stigma than DWI.

3. Deandra Michelle Grant

Pro

Answered . Is the State offering deferred adjudication on the obstruction of highway intoxication charge? That is typically a good deal because of the potential to have a Petition of Non-Disclosure granted in the future. You should verify with your attorney what exactly is being offered.