Is not writing an apology letter considered wrongful termination?

Minneapolis, MN |

At my job i had to write a report. Apperantly i used the wrong form because the proper form wasn't available. My supervisors asked me to re-write the report using the proper form, I have no problem with this. They are also asking me to write an apology letter for using the wrong form. This is what i have a problem with because the proper forms were not available to me. So the question is if i decide not to write an apology letter and get disciplined or terminated for it is it considered wrongful termination? if so is it worth pursing a case over it?

Refusing to perform the task the employer directs an employee to do is insubordination, which nearly always legitimates the decision to terminate an employee who is not otherwise protected by contract or a collective bargaining agreement. The scenario you describe does not constitute wrongful termination under general principles of law.

2. No, this is nothing close to wrongful termination. Write the apology and learn from the mistake. Taking to writing an apology is a key step for you to internalize the requirement, form or no form

3. Generally, an employer may make various requirements of the employee so long as the employer does not behave in an illegal manner including behaviors recognized as discriminatory under law. And, absent contractual agreement to the contrary, employment is 'at will'. Wrongful termination generally refers to a discharge of an employee for reasons that are illegal in nature or for reasons that are violative of the employer's own company policies.

MINNEAPOLIS/ST. PAUL and outlying areas to ST CLOUD. Do seek legal counsel for your personal legal issues and needs. This post is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This post is to be considered general information which may or may not apply to your personal situation.

4. If you do not have a contract which specifies how discipline may occur, you are considered an "at will employee." That means you may be terminated for amy reason or no reason at all, except for termination based on a suspect classification protected b statute. In short, the answer is likely "yes" that they may terminate you for not doing as instructed,

Disclaimer: Nothing in this email message creates an attorney client relationship absent a retainer agreement with this office. Any response to email inquiries should be considered general in nature and should not be relied upon as legal advice. You should always consult a lawyer in your state regarding your specific legal matter.