Is not writing an apology letter considered wrongful termination?

Asked 6 months ago - Minneapolis, MN

At my job i had to write a report. Apperantly i used the wrong form because the proper form wasn't available. My supervisors asked me to re-write the report using the proper form, I have no problem with this. They are also asking me to write an apology letter for using the wrong form. This is what i have a problem with because the proper forms were not available to me. So the question is if i decide not to write an apology letter and get disciplined or terminated for it is it considered wrongful termination? if so is it worth pursing a case over it?

1. L. Maxwell Taylor

3

Best Answer

Answered . Refusing to perform the task the employer directs an employee to do is insubordination, which nearly always legitimates the decision to terminate an employee who is not otherwise protected by contract or a collective bargaining agreement. The scenario you describe does not constitute wrongful termination under general principles of law.

2. Tricia Dwyer

2

Answered . Generally, an employer may make various requirements of the employee so long as the employer does not behave in an illegal manner including behaviors recognized as discriminatory under law. And, absent contractual agreement to the contrary, employment is 'at will'. Wrongful termination generally refers to a discharge of an employee for reasons that are illegal in nature or for reasons that are violative of the employer's own company policies.

3. Maury Devereau Beaulier

Answered . If you do not have a contract which specifies how discipline may occur, you are considered an "at will employee." That means you may be terminated for amy reason or no reason at all, except for termination based on a suspect classification protected b statute. In short, the answer is likely "yes" that they may terminate you for not doing as instructed,

4. Alan James Brinkmeier

1

Answered . No, this is nothing close to wrongful termination. Write the apology and learn from the mistake. Taking to writing an apology is a key step for you to internalize the requirement, form or no form