Is Not reporting wages to Public Assistance illegal?

Asked 6 months ago - Philadelphia, PA

I collect public assistance and also am self-employed looking to file a 1099 return

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Lawrence R. Chaban


    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is definitely illegal. Wages must be reported as earned. I would strongly recommend you consult with an attorney about the problems this may cause you and see what you can do to correct this serious error.

  2. Timothy D. Belt

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I whole heartedly agree with the other posters. This is a crime and you should immediately seek counsel to take care of the matter.

    Timothy D. Belt, Esquire Certified as a specialist in the practice of workers’ compensation law by the... more
  3. Kelvin P. Green

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You are required to report any changes within 10 days. You have committed welfare fraud and literally stolen money from your friends and neighbors in Philadelphia.

    I agree you should work with an attorney to help sort this out.

    This is for general information only. Nothing in this information should be construed as creating an attorney-... more
  4. James K Brownell

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is a crime to work and collect welfare benefits, generally almost all benefits, Ssdi, Ssi workers comp and unemployment you are required to report wages and income of any kind. Under some circumstances you may collect if you make under a certain amt in comp Ssi, but you are required to report income immediately!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,040 answers this week

2,891 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,040 answers this week

2,891 attorneys answering