Is No-fault Divorce in NY legal? If Yes, what is the process from start to finish.

Asked almost 4 years ago - Albany, NY

My husband had ask for a divorce since Oct. 2009. we had live in the same house but separate and apart martial bed, and since April 2010, we are living in separate residences. WE have not even filed for legal separation. I keep asking him to get the process going> He has a divorce lawyer and I DO NOT. Can you give me some Advise? Thank You

1. David Centeno

Pro

Answered . If you haven't been served a Summons with Notice, then you can initiate a divorce action under fault grounds if you have them. You will not be able to file a no fault divorce until 10/14/10, or 60 days after the Governor signed the bill into law.

THIS COMMENT DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE and are provided for informational purposes only. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. All answers are based solely on New York law, unless otherwise specified.

2. David Alexander Browde

Pro

Answered . No fault is not yet in force in New York. The current system is fault based, and requires the filing of a summons and complaint. If you have not done so now, you can...or you can wait for the no fault law to take effect.

3. Ronald Glenn Lieberman

Pro

Answered . Unless the statute mandates retroactivity, your pending divorce may not be modified by the new law.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed.