Skip to main content

Is NJSA 2C:14-3b (4th degree) a felony or a misdemeanor? This is a charge in the state of New Jersey - Criminal sexual Contact.

Piscataway, NJ |

I was originally charged with NJSA 2C: 14-2b but a new lawyer found out a mistake (2 years later) and it was supposed to be NJSA 2C:14-3b. It went from sexual assault to criminal sexual contact. It says 4th degree on the JOC. I did not have jail time, no megans law, but i do have probation.

So is this a felony or a misdemeanor? I need to know as i would have to answer yes or no on a job application and i do not want to lie.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Attorney Answers 3


The charge to which you entered a plea agreement is a fourth degree crime, and as such, is a felony. In New Jersey, crimes of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th degrees are all considered felonies.

Best of luck to you!

Adam S. Malamut, Esquire

Mark as helpful


Any crime in New Jersey that is described as a degree (1st degree, 2nd degree, etc.) is a indictable offense, referred to in other states as a felony. In New Jersey, a misdemeanor is known as a "disorderly persons offense".

You were convicted of a felony, which ordinarily takes 10 years to expunge.

Mark as helpful


I agree that it is considered a felony. Note however that if the victim was a minor, then the offense cannot be expunged, even after 10 years.
This answer has been submitted for informational purposes only and does not constitute advertising, solicitation or legal advice. This information is provided only as general information of interest to those asking questions and others which may or may not reflect the most current legal developments. Online readers should not act upon any information contained in this answer without seeking the advice of legal counsel licensed in their state. Submission of this answer is not intended to create, and the reading of this answer does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics