Skip to main content

Is natural father required to relinquish for adult adoptions in Georgia?

Acworth, GA |

I wish to adopt my grown stepdaughters ages 31 and 29 who have considered me "Dad" for approximately 20 years. They and their mother (my wife of 19 years) agree to the adoption. Do I still need their natural father's permission to adopt them though he released custody, visitation, and child support approximately 16 years ago?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


It is perfectly natural to want to seek to legalize an emotional attachment to adults in your life who you would like to play the role of parent to, regardless if they are already over the age of 18. Therefore, an adult adoption does seem like a good legal solution. In Georgia, an adult adoption does not require the consent of the legal parent, therefore you would not have to involve their biological parents in their decision to be adopted by a different, loving, adult. Additionally, adult adoption is usually a much easier and less expensive process than the adoption of a child.

If you would like to discuss the process in detail, my office would be happy to talk with you. We are located in Georgia and concentrate on adoption. We regularly give guidance on this type of case. You can also find a list of other experienced Georgia adoption attorneys through

Good luck!

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated.

I am licensed to practice solely in Georgia, and do not intend to give legal advice or create a lawyer/client relationship. Please consult an attorney in your state for detailed advice on your legal question.



Thank you, Jessica. I appreciate your quick reply to my question and your insight (you are spot-on :-)


No termination or relinquishment is required in adult adoptions. Adult adoptions are rather inexpensive when done by someone who knows how to do them (and each court seems to handle them a bit differently).

ATTORNEY GLEN ASHMAN 404-768-3509 . If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.



Thank you, Glen, for answering my question so quickly and for helping me understand adult adoptions better. Take care.


I agree with the previous answers and would emphasize that it is money well spent to retain an attorney who has handled this type of case in the past. I also agree that this is a relatively inexpensive adoption. Best of luck to you and congratulations.

This information is provided as a public service to provide a general answer and should not be relied upon as legal advice.



Outstanding. Thanks, Mr Gibney. Take care.

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer