Is my University liable if I am involved in an auto accident while traveling to a mandatory school assignment

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Diego, CA

nocnote1@yahoo.com

1. S. David Rosenthal Esquire

Pro

16

Answered . If you were in the course and scope of your employment with the University, or if you were acting in some capacity to help the University, it's possible the University would be on the hook. However, just driving somewhere to conduct studies would not make the University liable.

2. Bret A. Schnitzer

15

Answered . If you are a student, probably not. If you are an employee it depends. I trust you are a student? I would need more facts.

3. Mark Carleton Blane

Pro

13

Answered . No, unless you were working for the University (doing something for their benefit). Then the University may be liable to you under workers' compensation. If you were driving as a student, and you are not at fault, then you would have an at-fault third party (the other driver or drivers) to pursue. If you were at fault, then your insurance would protect you against the other driver or drivers. More facts are needed on the different scenarios above.

4. Kevin Coluccio

12

Answered . I would think not.

5. Gordon Alexander Glenn

10

Answered . Assuming you are just a student, and not an employee, there is no liability for the school unless they were somehow negligent (i.e. breached a duty of care, etc.) and that negligence was a legal cause of the incident. (If you were driving a university owned automobile, then they would be statutorily liable under the California Vehicle Code as the vehicle owner, but I assume you were driving your own vehicle. If you caused the accident, you will need to look to your insurance carrier to defend and indemnify you. Good luck!

6. David M Blain

5

Answered . As stated by every other attorney who responded before me, unless you were an employee of the university and were injured while acting within the course and scope of that employment, then no the university is not liable.

7. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

3

Answered . It depends on wether you are an emplyee or a student. If you are an emplyee you can claim an injury that happened within the course of employment. If you are a student in a mandatory school assignment and you were in a school vehicle then you could potentially have a cause of action. On the other hand if you were driving your own car submit your claim to your insurance company. If it was not your fault you may want to hire a attorney to help you.

8. Scott J. Corwin

Pro

2

Answered . Short answer: No. For further inquires, I would consult with an experienced local car accident attorney to help you understand your rights.