Is my spouse entitled to my income after separation?

Asked over 1 year ago - Atlanta, GA

We separated about 8 months ago and case is in discovery. I may get a year-end bonus and I am wondering if my spouse is entitled to receive any component of this as part of equitable distribution? Case is simple - no children, no property, no debt, no domestic violence. Case type is no-fault irreconcilable difference, contested by my spouse :(.

1. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

Answered . Your income is fair game and must be disclosed in discovery. (You may have figured out that with so much at stake, not getting a lawyer will prove to be a big mistake).

2. Charles Vincent Crowe IV

Pro

Answered . Your bonus income will be considered marital property. However, this does not mean your spouse is entitled to any particular portion of it. Marital property is subject to equitable division, which means the judge can award your spouse whatever portion the court deems fair. If I were your attorney, I would argue that your wife is entitled to no more than 1/8 of the bonus since you two will have been separated for 9 of the 12 months (or 3/4) of this year and she is entitled to 1/2 the bonus accrued during the other 1/4 of this year.

3. Darrell Brinnett Reynolds Sr.

Answered . Short answer is your bonus is marital property and will be considerated as part of your income.

Darrell B. Reynolds, Sr.
    Attorney and Counselor at Law
    drey1954@cs.com
    404-636-6616

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - William Shakespeare

NOTICE – 1) This email does not create an attorney/client relationship. In order to create an attorney/client relationship with this office it is necessary to enter into a written contract agreed to by both parties. 2) This email is intended only for the person(s) listed in the To: and CC: lines. It is not intended for anyone else and any reliance upon this email by other parties is at their own peril. 3) This e-mail, and all attachments transmitted with it, may contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information that is intended solely for the individual(s) or entity(ies) to which it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, then you are not authorized to read, distribute, copy, or otherwise use any or all portions of this e-mail or any attachment. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or by telephone at 1-404-636-6616, and delete all copies of this e-mail. Thank you.