Skip to main content

Is my son's Licensed Clincal Social Worker ethical and forth-coming?

Weed, CA |

My mildly impaired son has been seeing a therapist for two years giving her CASH, and never ever received a receipt. She always told him to remember to bring his payment. I found out she was not billing medicare correctly and taking more money from my son than what was owed. After doing my investigation and confronting her, she wrote two checks to my son as a reimbursement, totaling over two hundred dollars. I have caught her telling lies. Also, she told me that she does not give people receipts unless they ask because she has a tracking record/bookkeeping system. But her records don't match to my son's insurance. Her records are not accurate!! She is a farce! Please tell me if I should go forward with the license board and Better Business Bread. Thank you!!

Attorney Answers 2


You may want to make a complaint to the State licensing board, the CA Board of Behavioral Sciences:

But be sure that your son is willing to have that relationship severed, as that is inevitably the consequence of a complaint, even before there is any investigation or determination of the merits. Based just on the facts that you have summarized here, you have the choice: work through the problem and implement more traditional financial controls if that is your son's wish, or make your complaint and find an alternative therapist for your son. Please don't underestimate the critical importance of letting your son have the critical vote here. It can be very difficult to establish a meaningful and effective relationship with a therapist, and the burden will fall on him to have to build a new one.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


As always, Ms. McCall is spot on. I tend to look at things from a money perspective lately and IF you think this is a habbit and it likely is, she is ripping off the Feds, so, she could do some jail time, could owe some back taxes AND you or your son, as whistle blowers, may be in line for a piece of any recovery by the IRS, if you make such a report to them.

I am not suggesting you should, but, perhaps you could.
If you do, make sure all of your ducks are in a row...

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics