Is my son's Licensed Clincal Social Worker ethical and forth-coming?

Asked about 1 year ago - Weed, CA

My mildly impaired son has been seeing a therapist for two years giving her CASH, and never ever received a receipt. She always told him to remember to bring his payment. I found out she was not billing medicare correctly and taking more money from my son than what was owed. After doing my investigation and confronting her, she wrote two checks to my son as a reimbursement, totaling over two hundred dollars. I have caught her telling lies. Also, she told me that she does not give people receipts unless they ask because she has a tracking record/bookkeeping system. But her records don't match to my son's insurance. Her records are not accurate!! She is a farce! Please tell me if I should go forward with the license board and Better Business Bread. Thank you!!

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

2

Answered . You may want to make a complaint to the State licensing board, the CA Board of Behavioral Sciences: http://www.bbs.ca.gov/consumer/complaint_info.s...

But be sure that your son is willing to have that relationship severed, as that is inevitably the consequence of a complaint, even before there is any investigation or determination of the merits. Based just on the facts that you have summarized here, you have the choice: work through the problem and implement more traditional financial controls if that is your son's wish, or make your complaint and find an alternative therapist for your son. Please don't underestimate the critical importance of letting your son have the critical vote here. It can be very difficult to establish a meaningful and effective relationship with a therapist, and the burden will fall on him to have to build a new one.

2. Scott Richard Kaufman

1

Answered . As always, Ms. McCall is spot on. I tend to look at things from a money perspective lately and IF you think this is a habbit and it likely is, she is ripping off the Feds, so, she could do some jail time, could owe some back taxes AND you or your son, as whistle blowers, may be in line for a piece of any recovery by the IRS, if you make such a report to them.

I am not suggesting you should, but, perhaps you could.
    If you do, make sure all of your ducks are in a row...