Is my request for a green-card most likely to be accepted if I got out of status after I had applied for it?

Asked about 1 year ago - Tulsa, OK

I'm have been a F-1 international student since 2009 and always kept my status. This year i got married to an US citizen and we applied for the green card filling out I-485 and I-130 forms. By the time we sent out applications to the uscis my immigration status were legal, however, I recently had to leave school and become illegal. Is my dropping out of status going to affect the process of me getting a green-card ?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The only effect dropping out of status will have is eliminate options in the event there is an error in the case.

    The Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit has stated that "Many courts have recognized that 'our immigration statutory framework is notoriously complex'" and that it is "ever changing"

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  2. Paul M. Ruby

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Probably not, but this could be a problem down the road if there are complications in your case. These questions should be posed BEFORE you fall out of status, not after. In many cases, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

    This is not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship has been formed, now or in the future. This is just... more
  3. Lynne Rogers Feldman

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No it won't affect your eligibility for the green card; but it could affect your eligibility for advance parole. If you were out of status more than 180 days do not request advance parole and do not travel outisde the U.S. until you can travel n yoru green card.

    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration Law

    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
    Fax: (619) 923-3277

    Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

  4. Ralf D. Wiedemann

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Falling out of F-1 status after you filed your I-485 based on marriage to a US citizen would not affect the decision on the I-485.

Related Topics

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Adjustment of status

When a person in the United States changes his or her immigration status to permanent resident, this is called "adjustment of status."

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,890 answers this week

3,058 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,890 answers this week

3,058 attorneys answering