Is my landlord responsible for the electricity in the common areas of the house?

Providence, RI |

There are 3 tenants in the 3 apartments . I am paying for the electricity in the common hall on all 3 floors , the exterior lights , the basement lights , and the washer in the basement which all tenants use . I was not told at the chm of leasing this would be my sole responsibility .

1. Do you have a written Lease? If so, have you reviewed it for any language relative to the electricity?

You potentially have recourse against your Landlord. Assuming that you alone are paying all of the electricity for the common area, you were not notified of this situation verbally or in the lease, are not being compensated for this situation with a lower rent, then you are entitled from compensation from the Landlord.

Assuming the above, you should notify your Landlord of the situation and ask that the electricity for the common areas be switched into his name. You should also request that you receive reasonable compensation for the common area electricity that you have paid.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Rhode Island. Responses are based solely on Rhode Island law unless stated otherwise

Landlord-tenant law topics